Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Tibet - 西藏

Yes, yes, I am going to Tibet, in 9 days no less! I have been procrastinating by translating the itinerary we have from Chinese into English - here is half of it. I apologise for the dodgy translation, they use some odd phrases that we never use in English, and I'm not sure it is all correct, but you'll get the idea.

拉萨,大昭寺,羊八井, 日喀则双卧十日游
Lāsà, Dàzhāosì, Yángbājǐng, Rìkāzé shuāng wò shí rìyóu

Day 1
21:30北京西站乘T27次列车,踏上神秘旅途.
From Beijing East Station ride the T27 train, step on mysterious journey.

Day 2
列车奔驰在铁路上,领略高原,河流的无限魅力.
Train runs quickly en route, appreciate the tablelands, waterways of infinite charm.

Day 3
20:58到达拉萨,接火车导游献哈达迎接客人.人住兵官休息.
Arrive at Lasa, connect with tour train receive guests. People at hotel rest.

Day 4
上午参观世界上海拨最高的古代宫堡式建筑-有"高原明珠"之称的"布达拉宫",它始建于公元七世纪,自五世达赖喇嘛以来,直是西藏的政治和宗教中心,珍藏有存放历辈达赖喇嘛真身的金质灵塔和大量珍贵的壁画,唐卡,佛像,是藏民族文化的集中体现 (不含金顶及文物珍宝展小门票,各10元/人). 下午参观建于吐蕃王朝时期的最早的佛堂 - 大昭寺,它供奉有文成公主所带的佛祖释迦牟尼十三岁的等身像,是藏族老百姓心目中最为神圣灵验的一尊佛像,在这里游客不仅能够看到老百姓朝佛的虔诚,还可随老百姓一起围绕寺院转经为众生祈祷,随后可在充满了浓郁藏族特色的工艺品一条街 - 八角街上自由购物.

Morning visit the world's highest lake and highest ancient temple fortress structure - is "Plateau's Bright Pearl" named Potala Palace, it was constructed in the Christian 7th Century, since the fifth generation Dalai Lama, continuously been Tibet's centre of politics and religion, looks after the treasure of ancestral Dalai Lama's real body of God gold spirit tower and large quantity of valuable murals, Tang dynasty blocks, images of Buddha, is Tibet's ethnic culture's centralised realisation (does not contain cultural treasure exhibit ticket, each person 10 kuai). Afternoon visit Tibet's earliest imperial period's Buddhist sanctuary - Dazhaosi, it is a place to worship the statue of a 13 year old princess and the founder of Buddhism (Sakyumuni), is Zangzu's (Tibetan ethnic minority) civilians most sacred image of Buddha, here tourists not only can civilians praying, also can follow civilians together move around the temple, soon afterwards can be brimming with rich ethnic minorities distinguising handicrafts at Bajiao Street for free shopping time.

Will add more when I finish translating!

2 comments:

cassie_andra said...

Hello,

My name's Cassie, a friend found your blog while she was surfing the net and she gave the link to me... she did this because I'm a 3rd year uni student studying Chinese in Sydney and I'm planning on spending next year studying in China! I'd love to hear what you have to say about living in Beijing... I'm thinking of studying there but I hear the living conditions are pretty tough? And is the BLCU all it's cracked up to be? Sorry for the Q's, hope you don't mind! Happy travelling =)

Ruby Rach said...

Hey Cassie, sorry I haven't replied in so long - I have to use a reverse proxy over here to access my blog because the Chinese government has blocked most blog sites!

To be honest, I don't love Beijing. I like it I guess, but it's definitely not love. BLCU is a very good uni though - famous outside China, but not well-known at all within China. The weather here is pretty extreme compared with Australia, but not so bad compared within China. In winter, it only snows twice or three times, gets down to around -10. Summer is a bitch, hot every day and humid too. More bad things - it's dirty, people spit constantly, everybody stares (very obviously), you can get sick very easily,

Good things about BJ? Shopping is dirt cheap, few good clothes markets around BLCU where you can buy tees for AU$3-5. Food is good if you like Chinese food. Lots of variety, and so many restaurants to choose from. BLCU is right near Wudaokou, like a mini suburb full of nightclubs, restaurants and shops. Public transport is very good, but doesn't run on a timetable - when it arrives, it arrives. Taxis are cheap too, but the traffic is often at a standstill.

I just actually got back from my Tibet trip, which you can probably see, and I am coming back to China to study for another year in 2009, and I want to study in Lhasa. It was such an amazing place, it puts Beijing to shame.

Anything else I've missed out on?