Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Today shall forever be remembered as the day of the chocolate fish cake

Thankyou everyone for the birthday wishes!

I had a pretty good day considering I had class. The four hours went like a breeze (normally I'm counting down the hours, minutes, seconds), I had my favourite lunch at the shitang (cafeteria), the teacher set only a tiiiiiiiny bit of homework that I had already done, I got free gift-vouchers from a couple of my favourite online stores, I had a massive siesta, and the best bit? Mega surprised me with 40 (yes, 40!) chocolate fish cakes! What are chocolate fish cakes, I hear you ask? Only the greatest thing in the world worth 1元.

They are fish-shaped cakes made from something like pancake batter, with melted chocolate inside, served toasty hot. The seller used to camp outside one of the exits at uni last winter, but the police have cracked down and made everyone move. I had been hanging out for fish cakes ever since winter ended last year, and I thought I'd never find the seller... But Mega did, his new location is right outside the Wudaokou subway station. So she bought me 40! I didn't eat all of them, of course - I shared maybe 20 with my classmates (now I'm the popular kid, because everyone loves fish cakes).

Here is a picture of what is left, so finally my parents will know what I've been raving about all year long. (I don't know how well they will travel, but I might be able to bring some home too... only if you're lucky and don't mind risking possible food poisoning from eating food made on the street - I'm pretty much immune now!)

g - at least with my Tibet blog, I had my journal to go by. This time I am not so lucky, so this may be sparse (but I'll make up for it with pictures). And if you're back home in Australia, just ask my parents - I'm sure they remember more details than I do.

Oh, I guess I should explain for people other than my immediate family that my parents came to China to visit me for 2 weeks at the end of the school holidays. We just did the touristy thing around Beijing, then headed down to Guilin for a few days too. I have no idea in what order we did, or where we went every day, so lets just look at some pictures, shall we?



Apart from that, I don't really have any news. Friday night our classmates and I are having a massive birthday party, because it was Gaoshan's birthday on the 18th, and Jiwu's birthday today as well. We're heading to a Japanese restaurant near uni, which should be fun. (P.S. Mum and Dad, I'm squandering this fortnight's rent to pay for the dinner - because in most Asian countries, the host pays for the dinner). So no doubt I will have lots of photos to share then.

And I promise to post about our trip to Guilin soon!

No comments: